Monday, August 12, 2013

I Got A Package!!!


Hi Everyone.

Awesome news, I finally got my first package you sent in May. Packages can make it from the US it turns out, it just takes 3 months.  Every one at the zone conference wanted me to open it right then and there. I knew that there was candy inside so wasn’t about to open it up and share with every one in my zone. After we returned to the house I opened it up and was nice and shared the goodies inside with my housemates. I also received the letter Lydia sent to me in the MTC. It had been in the office for like 2 months, and never gave it to me. Super lame. Just happy that I finally got some love from home.

We also had some more service this week. We cleaned the ``patio`` of an investigators house. We picked up and organized all the wood they had lying around and cleaned up all the trash, and the leaves strewn about. However, the biggest part was removing a huge tree stump and all the roots. We had to work all morning Tuesday and Wednesday  to remove it. The other elders were thinking that they needed to dig perfectly around the tree to get it removed. It took almost all of Tuesday morning for them to just dig. On Wednesday when they thought that they were going to continue to dig slowly and make us come back a third day I told them to step aside, grabbed on to the limbs that had been cut off from the pile we made the day before and used it as a lever and pried loose the stump from the ground. I then had Elder Trujillo (who weighs like 250lbs) help me lift the stump out of the hole. It took like 5-10 minutes, so much better then the entire morning again.

On thursday we had exchanges with our zone leader in Lorica. So I went and worked with Elder Perez in Lorica for a day. It was really nice to see how other elders taught their investigators. One thing I learned is how to have short but sweet lessons with everyone. If you are leaving and they are thinking ``NO, why do you have to leave now`` you know that you are doing a good job teaching them. We really need to use this in Cerete.

I am loving the new bunk beds. It is super sturdy and doesn’t creak at all. Elder Gomez is on the top because he had one with his brother when he was younger and he was always on the top. Which is fine since I like the bottom. If you have to get up in the middle of the night to get a drink or what ever its super easy and you don’t have to fall like 5 feet just to get out of bed.

We haven’t really been cooking much lately. We really don’t have time to do any thing like that. I offer like every P-day to cook dinner for everyone but they didn’t like that idea, because it wasn’t free. If they don’t really want me took cook that is fine. Its their loss since I am an awesome chef. Although I did cook brownies for a part member family to convince the dad that ``Mormons`` are cool people. What was funny is their daughter who is super thin ate like half the pan. I guess she thought it was like the best thing ever. The rest of the family also enjoyed the brownies as well.

Oh and don’t worry about making me feel homesick when you write me about the trip the family is taking right now, I really don’t feel home sick here in Colombia. I feel more grateful for what I do have in the US. I also laugh a lot at the way people do things here. A lot of them don’t understand the ``Work smarter, not harder`` they fix things with Machetes and bailing wire when if they would think about it they could fix it correctly and it would last. They make fun of Americans because when something breaks we buy a new one. I can see that for a few things but like when they have a fan that has live wires sticking out and no longer has its case near small children, I don’t think that ``Fixing`` it really helps them. We were in a house this week and one of the members little ones walked in to a fan. Smacked him pretty good on the head. I thought that that would be a clue that its dangerous to continually fix things. Its like the website you showed me of all the ghetto things people do to fix their stuff in the US. Well here that is normal, you get made fun if you have nice things. I don’t understand that thought process. It may be because they are living in a 3rd world country and don’t ever dream of more. It makes me sad.

I also don’t know why i am remembering this right now but will you punch dad for teaching me about kerning. Almost every thing isn’t spaced right and is never in straight lines. It is driving me crazy. I’m dying for someone to use Helvetica Neue. Its horrible, why did dad have to teach me about design.

Love you guys lots,
Alec

My First Package From Home
So excited!!!!!!


Googly Eyes In My Sisters Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment