Monday, August 11, 2014

Flying Kites and New Bags

Hey Everyone,

So we are going to have a baptism coming up!!! The sister in which we have been working is going to get baptized the 23rd of this month. She told us that she was tired of waiting and that it was this month or nothing. She wanted to have an interview with the bishop before she met with our district leader. She had the interview with the bishop on Sunday. We just have to organize the time for her to meet with our district leader. I am very excited for her.

It has been fairly hot recently. I don’t know what happened to the land of eternal spring I’m supposed to be living in. It hasn´t been bad, it just means I’m sweating up the hills now but it has been the best weather of all of my areas. I want to end my mission here in Medellin, but I don’t think it is going to happen. I also want to be in the office for a little just to have the chance to do a little of everything.

I did get a new bag this week although it is not a backpack. I bought another shoulder bag but this one weighs less then half of the other bag and I can only carry a third of the stuff I had. I actually am really loving it. This has been the first week in a long time that my shoulder hasn’t hurt after we get back to the house. The mission medic is also not going to have to stalk me to see if I need to have an appointment anymore since I down sized so thats nice. I also was going to give away my old bag, but when it came time to leave the house I just couldn’t do it. I named it, but its like cadavers, once you name them it hard to give them away. Hey and thanks once more for sending me the money for the new bag. Now I just need to name it, my last one was named “La Vaca” or the cow. What do you think I should name it?

One fun thing this week was we went to visit a less active sister and she invited us to fly kites. So we hung out on a ridge while her son flew a kite and we took turns. I mainly was taking with her friend that had just moved here from Bogota. She had spoken with missionaries before and even had a Book of Mormon. We planed a family home evening with them for this Tuesday. I’m going to make brownies and we are going to watch The Testaments with them as well.

This friday was fun too. I was in a companion exchange with the zone leaders so I was in Aranjuez. It was fun, I was with Elder Johnson. We had a lot of fun having all the snakes (women on the prowl) staring at us, sure it was uncomfortable and they looked at us like pieces of meat, but they thought we were Grade A so that was one good thing. They just don’t get that all we want is to teach them about the Lord. We also visited a sister in their ward. We asked if she had any questions that she wanted answered (she was a member FYI). She asked us to explain about sons of perdition. We were like, Wait... what. It threw it us off guard. Luckily I have spent time studying things like this in our spare time. We explained how it works and then read D&C where it talks about how someone can become a son of perdition. All in all it was a very interesting lesson. I was glad I could help her out. I know a lot of other elders would have been at a loss for words.

Dad’s letter about the motorcycle and him almost forgetting the license plate bracket made me laugh. It reminded me of the rules that they have for motorcycles here. You have to not only have to have the plate, but the number on your helmet, and a vest that has the number on the front and the back. But thats only if you want to drive in the city, if you are in the outskirts the cops don’t do any thing. You could do wheelies in front of a school as the kids are leaving if you want. The Cops just don't care here.

Also on Sunday I heard an awesome quote from Joseph Smith I want to share: "If my life is of no value to my friends it is of none to myself” We need to live in such away that those that are close to us value who we are and what we do.

Well, thats all for this week, this is Elder Alec Ferdinand Beats wishing you a wonderful week.

Toodles,
Alec

Walked across this bridge and had to stop and take a picture. I feel like my Dad now.


My Awesome new and smaller bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment