Monday, April 29, 2013

Starting the Real Mission in Cerete Colombia

Buenos Tardes,

So I’m finally getting to check my email and write everyone today. Looks like my p-day is going to be  Mondays in this area. I am now in the town of Cerete. It’s near the coast of the Caribbean but not close enough to get a nice ocean breeze. The town is super small and they do not have any buildings above 2 stories other than the Catholic church. It is super hot here and when I say super hot I mean it. If I’m lucky the low at night is 80-90 and the high is 110 from 12-3. The ten day forecast shows next week could peak at 124. This will be the same almost my whole mission. It is super hot but for some reason I love it. My house I share with 3 other Elders does not have air conditioning so all we have is fans to blow on us and when I left the power was out. Hopefully it will come back on before I have to go to bed. All the Elders in my house are latinos and my companion is from Mexico City. His name is Elder Gomez and he has been out for 5 months. He speaks a little bit of english which is nice so he can help me understand new words. He also wants me to teach him english so we will see how that goes. I know every one I teach will be taught my ''accent'' for words with er, so that will be interesting. I have already been robbed. Some one jimmied open our bedroom window while we were gone. I don’t know what they thought they could take since there are bars on the window but they reached through and stole my sheets off my bed. I bought new sheets here but the thread count is like 2 maybe 2 and half. They are really rough and they suck, but hey now I know to keep the window completely closed and nothing by it.

To get here to my mission from the MTC in Bogota I took a 10 hour bus drive and it was really long but it wasn’t that bad. It was like the equivalent of greyhound or other busses in america so it wasn’t super bad. It was kind of cool to see Colombia along the way. We stopped 2 times for food at tiny little towns in the mountains. For our first stop I bought some coke and a snickers, in the second place the church paid for our lunch. I got this weird beef thing since I didn’t understand what they said to me since they talk so fast. So far I’m eating lots of overcooked meat and rice.

I tried to upload pictures this week for the first time and I got my login right but this stupid computer would not see my camera. I don’t have a lot of time since i’m trying to catch up on 2 weeks of emails but I will really push for next week. I also found out that if people want to send me a letter or a package on my mission that they need to send it to the mission home so my address will be the same the whole time. If I heard correctly my district leader goes once a month and gets all the packages or they mail them if we are out of the way. Here is my address:

PACKAGES ONLY:
Elder Alec Stewart Meyers
Colombia Medellin Mission
Calle 7 Sur 42-70 Edificio Forum P.H.
Etapa 1, Piso 24, Oficina 2405
Medellin Antioquia
Colombia

LETTERS ONLY:
Elder Alec Stewart Meyers
Colombia Medellin Mission
Cra 42 #5 Sur-105 24th Floor
Medellin Antioquia
Colombia

Also, everyone keeps asking about the small scooter pins a have on my backpack, the only problem is in spanish they don’t have any word for scooter. Its all just motto so I have to say ''e''scooter so they understand since they always put an “e” in front of all english words with an “s” in the beginning.

Love,
Alec

The Bus Ride




No comments:

Post a Comment